K231 Stereo 3-Way Active Crossover
Notice to our customers: the K231 is temporarily on back-order. We should have them back in stock by Dec 20, 2017. You can still place your orders, and we will ship them as soon as they are back in stock. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
Audiophile Grade Active Crossover
Transform Your Sound System with Professional Grade Active Bi-Amping or Tri-Amping.
The K231 Stereo Active Crossover significantly improves the audio quality of your sound system by separating the high, mid and low frequency sounds using ultra low noise, high precision active filter circuits. This allows the use of a separate power amplifier channel for each speaker driver, and eliminates the need for passive crossovers. The result is a massively improved level of clarity and lower distortion of the sound produced. This is called Active Bi-Amping or Tri-Amping.
- Stereo 3-way or 2-Way active crossover for driving separate sub, mid, and tweeter amplifiers
- Linkwitz-Riley crossover, 4th order 24dB/Octave or 2nd order 12dB/Octave filter slope
- For Bi-Amping or Tri-Amping your sound system
- High precision 1% and 0.1% filter components for pinpoint XO frequency selection and ultra low distortion
- Supports 4-way or 5-way operation by cascading two K231's
- Add a subwoofer to vintage audio equipment lacking LFE outputs
- All analog design using only the highest quality audiophile grade components:
- Burr-Brown op-amps ~ Legendary audiophile grade op amps with .00005% Distortion
- Metalized Polypropylene Film capacitors
- Metal film resistors with 1% and 0.1% precision
- ALPS metal film potentiometers
- Crossover frequency and slope is selected through pluggable 'XO Modules'
- Wide range of XO Modules are available to support any crossover frequency
- Optional Sub channel L/R mixer to support a mono sub-woofer channel
- Supports Balanced and Unbalanced audio signaling
- Sub, Mid and High output gain front panel adjustments
- Baffle Step Compensation, with adjustable gain and selectable baffle size ranges
- Silent On/Off – No loud ‘Thump’ when powering On or Off
- Made in USA
- 45 Day No-Hassle Return
- THD Better than 0.0005%
- THD+N: Better than 0.0028%
- IMD : Better than 0.0058%
- SNR: 120dB
- Channel Crosstalk Less than -83dB
- Frequency Response: Linear from 10Hz - 250KHz
- CMRR (balanced input): Better than 70dB
- Input Impedance: 20K ohms unbalanced, 40K ohms balanced
- Input Signal Max: 5.5V
- Insertion Gain: Adjustable -9dB to +8dB
- Filter Topology: Linkwitz-Riley, Constant Voltage, 4th Order, 24dB/Octave
- Enclosure: Aluminum Extruded Chassis
- Dimensions: 6.5”W x 6.5”D x 2.5”H
- Shipping Weight: 2.5 lbs
- Power Supply: Wall Mount AC adapter, 100VAC to 240VAC input, 24VDC 500mA output, 12W
Audio Signal Inputs:
- Stereo Balanced: ¼” TRS Jacks
- Stereo Unbalanced: RCA jacks
Audio Signal Outputs:
- Stereo Balanced High, Mid, Low: ¼” TRS Jacks
- Stereo Unbalanced High, Mid, Low: RCA Jacks
Preview the K231 User Manual (.pdf)
We stock the following XO Module frequencies. When ordering, please specify your desired 'Sub' and 'Mid/High' crossover frequencies, as well as the slope (12dB or 24dB/octave) in the 'Special Instructions' box on the shopping cart page:
- Any multiple of 10Hz from 40Hz-200Hz (e.g. 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz ... 200Hz)
- 250Hz, 275Hz, 350Hz, 450Hz
- Any multiple of 100Hz from 300Hz-4000Hz
- Any multiple of 500Hz from 4500Hz-10000Hz
To configure the K231 to operate as a 2-Way crossover, we supply 'Sub' XO Modules set to 12Hz, which channels all audible frequencies to the 'Mid/High' crossover stage. If you want to run your K231 in 2-Way mode, just specify '12Hz' for the Sub XO, and whatever frequency you need for your 2-Way XO.
You may want to experiment with various crossover frequencies and/or slopes. This can be easily done with the K231. Simply plug in a new XO Module to set a new crossover frequency.
Additional XO Modules are available here
To read more about the advantages of active Bi-Amp'ing ~ 'Making the Case for Active Crossovers vs. Passive'
We Also Recommend